Special Education Advisory Panel
Announcement: Open Meeting Notice
The Special Education Advisory Panel (SEAP) is announcing an open meeting on Monday, November 13, 2023, at the JRW Building, 700 W. State St. (East Conference Room) in Boise from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm MDT.
This meeting is available for public comment. Those interested in observing the meeting or participating in the open comment portion should contact the Special Education Department at (208) 332-6896 prior to 5:00 pm MDT Thursday, November 9, 2023.
The individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) requires that every state establish and maintain a Special Education Advisory Panel (SEAP) that advises the Idaho Department of Education on the education and related services for children with disabilities (ages birth through 26).
The responsibilities of Idaho's SEAP, as defined in the IDEA Section 1412 (a) (21):
- Advise the State educational agency of unmet needs within the State in the education of children with disabilities;
- Comment publicly on any rules or regulations proposed by the State regarding the education of children with disabilities;
- Advise the State educational agency in developing evaluations and reporting on data to the Secretary under section 1418 of this title;
- Advise the State educational agency in developing corrective action plans to address findings identified in Federal monitoring reports under this subchapter; and;
- Advise the State educational agency in developing and implementing policies relating to the coordination of services for children with disabilities.
The membership of the panel includes select organizations that are specifically focused on the needs of individuals with disabilities, parents of children with disabilities (ages birth through 26), and individuals with disabilities. Parents of children with disabilities and individuals with disabilities are vital members that represent a majority of the panel. The goal of the composition of the panel is to include all major stakeholders who can provide resources and support for individuals with disabilities.
If you would like to serve on SEAP, please complete and submit an application form. In Idaho, advisory panel members are appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (IDAPA 08.02.03.109.08). Panel members serve for a three year term.
- 2023-2024 Panel Membership List
- Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Application for Membership
- By-Laws and Operating Procedures
Note: Meeting materials are available upon request. Please contact Kathie Townsend at firstname.lastname@example.org or (208) 332-6896 if you wish to receive a copy of the meeting materials for a specific SEAP meeting.
For additional documents, click the appropriate + sign below to open a dropdown list.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers, click the appropriate + sign below.
For training, please view the Idaho Training Clearinghouse.