Initial Certificate for Postsecondary Specialist
This application process below is for those individuals who hold a master’s degree or higher in a content area and are employed as a current Idaho college/university faculty member in the content area. Separation from the employing college/university shall invalidate the certificate.
The primary use of this state-issued certificate shall be for distance education, "virtual classroom" programs, and for public and postsecondary partnerships.
Important: All required documents must be included in one packet for an application to be considered complete.
June through October is a busy time of year for Certification. Please allow 14-16 weeks processing time for your application once it has been submitted.
A complete application must include the following items:
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to the State Department of Education (SDE)
- Credit cards are not accepted at this time
- Payment is non-refundable
- Cash in the exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins
- Official transcripts must verify a master’s degree or higher in the endorsement area(s)
- Official transcripts may be opened by the applicant as long as they are printed on the institution’s original security paper
- Please include transcripts with your packet to expedite your application
- If transcripts are not included with your packet, please note in your application whether you are sending them electronically or by mail
- Transcripts will not be accepted until two weeks after the application is received as we cannot link them to your application until it is received
- Official transcripts sent electronically/faxed directly from the university/college are acceptable
- The university/college may send electronic transcripts directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recommendation must be signed by the faculty’s college dean from the accredited employing Idaho postsecondary institution
- The letter should indicate the candidate is employed as a current faculty member from an accredited Idaho postsecondary institution and the content area for which they are qualified to teach. Separation from the employing university shall invalidate the certificate
Upon completion of the above-noted items and verification that all requirements for certification are met, the applicant qualifies for an Idaho certificate issued for five (5) years.
Note: To renew the certificate, the renewal application packet must include a new recommendation from the postsecondary institution (faculty’s college dean official or higher).
Mail complete packet to:
State Department of Education
Attn: Teacher Certification
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
Frequently Asked Questions
No content available.
No content available.