The special education team ensures the implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). To achieve this, we provide guidance and resources to our state's educators so they can focus on the vital work of providing all Idaho's students with disabilities the opportunity to learn, grow, and reach their potential.
Through collaboration with our education partners, we provide a framework that allows our students and their families to experience the meaningful and quality education all students deserve.
Cultivating Readers Applications Open through March 31 for Participation in the 2023-2024 School Year
Cultivating Readers is research-based professional development that sticks! Over the course of four years, Cultivating Readers supports schools and districts to strengthen their reading systems, provides training and coaching to teachers on the Science of Reading to help them improve their teaching skills, and ultimately changes the lives of children as they learn to be proficient readers.
Public Meeting Notice: Idaho Extended Content Standards Alignment
The Idaho State Department of Education is hosting Extended Content Standards Alignment meetings for grades K-2 and 6-8 in English / Language Arts, Math, and Science. The meetings will be held virtually via Zoom.
NEW GUIDANCE FOR SCHOOLS IN SUPPORTING
STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES AND AVOIDING
DISCRIMINATORY USE OF DISCIPLINE
The U.S. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights (OCR) and the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) have released new guidance to help schools support students with disabilities and avoid discriminatory use of discipline as follows
- 2022 OSEP Discipline-Behavior Guidance
- Guidance to Help Schools Support Students with Disabilities and the Use of Discipline - 10/13/22 OSEP webinar
- Updated: July 22, 2022
- Letter from Secretary Cardona
- OSEP Implementation of IDEA Discipline Provisions
- Q&A: Addressing the Needs of Children with Disabilities and IDEA's Discipline Provisions
- Positive, Proactive Approaches to Supporting the Needs of Children with Disabilities
- Supporting Students with Disabilities and Avoiding the Discriminatory Use of Student Discipline
- Fact Sheet
- Discipline Guidance Summary