Summer Food Service Program
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) serves healthy meals and snacks during the summer months when school meals are not available.
During the school year, meals are served through the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs, but these programs end when school ends. Since hunger doesn't take a summer vacation, the SFSP helps fill the hunger gap.
The program is sponsored by school districts, local government agencies, camps, or public/private nonprofit organizations. Many meal sites also have games and reading activities to build healthy bodies and minds. The SFSP helps our children return to school in the fall ready to learn.
It's never too early to start thinking about summer!
Planning for the program is a year-round effort and there are many ways to get involved. Contact the SDE to see how your organization can help!
- Accurate Meal Counting
- Comparison of Summer Nutrition Programs and the National School Lunch Programs
- Dos and Don'ts
Manuals and Regulations
- SFSP Administrative Guide
- CFR 225 – SFSP Code of Federal Regulations
- FNS Instruction 796-4 Rev. 4 Financial Management
- SFSP Monitors Guide
- SFSP Nutrition Guide
- SFSP Site Supervisor’s Guide | (Spanish Version)
SFSP Meal Patterns
Frequently Asked Questions
The Idaho State Department of Education Child Nutrition Programs has submitted the below waiver requests to the US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Services. This information is provided to comply with the public notification statutory requirements in the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act, Section 12 (I)(1)(A)(ii).
- Idaho Offer Versus Serve Requirement Waiver
- Idaho First Week Waiver Approval
- Idaho SFSP Waiver Request Receipt – Applications for Closed Enrolled Sites Requirements
- Idaho SFSP Waiver Request Receipt – First Week Site Visit
- Idaho SFSP Waiver Request Receipt – Meal Service Time Restrictions
- Idaho SFSP Waiver Request Receipt - Offer Versus Serve Requirement
- Idaho State Waiver 2022 Closed Enrolled
- Idaho State Waiver Meal Times Response