Idaho Reading Indicator
The current Idaho Reading Initiative (IRI) is given to all (K-3) public school students whom qualify. The IRI is an early reading screener for students in K-3rd grade. The screener is mandatory for Idaho public school students in the Fall and Spring with an optional Winter assessment. The screener is set up with letter naming in kindergarten to reading fluency in third grade.
Current IRI will be given to all Idaho students SY 2017-2018.
The screener is mandatory for all Idaho students in the Fall and Spring with an optional Winter assessment. Different grade levels screen letter sound fluency, letter name fluency and reading skills. The screener is set up with letter naming in kindergarten to reading fluency in third grade.
- While the Idaho State Department of Education does not currently have an alternate assessment that measures fluency, districts can utilize other diagnostic tools to assess student’s emerging reading skills.
- Adaptations to the IRI administration, such as increasing testing time to 3 minutes invalidates the student score.
- If you can administer the IRI screener to a student with significant cognitive disabilities adhering to the one (1) minute time limit you can submit the score to the SDE through the ISEE test results file.
- Scores from other diagnostic tools (Core Phonics) can NOT be correlated to the IRI skill level scale and should not be submitted to the SDE.
- If a student has the IRI listed in their IEP, districts must adhere to it and assess accordingly.
- The IRI is not subject to accountability calculations for participation.
- The IRI can be administered to students Kindergarten-3rd grade.
General Questions Related to Special Education
2017-2018 Test Dates
August 21 - September 29, 2017
(ISEE upload in October)
January 2 - February 28, 2018
April 16 - May 18, 2018
(ISEE upload in May or June)
Frequently Asked Questions
NEW IRI Pilot
No content available.